Staff Spotlight: 20 Questions in 2 Minutes with Wendy Root
20 Questions in 2 Minutes is our series of interviews with Management Council staff members. This week’s guest is Wendy Root, Senior Lead Software Developer, with the State Software Development team.
- Are you a morning lark or a night owl?
- What’s your favorite indoor or outdoor activity?
Yardwork: gardening, landscaping, mowing, things like that.
- If you won the lottery, what is the first thing you would do?
Go on a trip to Alaska. I’ve been there already, but I’d like to go back. On my first trip, we flew into Ketchikan. I did a zip line there. When I came off the zipline, the guides made us all stop because there were bears where we would have been getting off. The guides told us to keep walking, and don’t pay them any attention. We spent a day and a half there then flew to Fairbanks. From there, we rented a vehicle and just drove wherever. We spent a couple days at Denali National Park, gorgeous! We almost hit a moose.
- Where did you work before this position?
I came to the SSDT straight out of college. So, my previous jobs were working on the family farm, in the catalog department at JCPenney, and for a printing company. I continued to work part time at JCPenney after I had started my job with the SSDT. I did that for a little over a year.
- Do you have a favorite type of exercise?
I have two favorites. I enjoy circuit training for the varied exercises targeting all the different areas of the body. Burpees are one of my favorite circuit training exercises. I also enjoy walking when I can go outside and enjoy nature.
- Who would play you in the movie of your life?
- What song always gets you out on the dance floor?
None. I have no rhythm.
- When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
An astronaut or fighter pilot. I idolized Chuck Yeager.
- Have you ever met anyone famous?
Mark Martin, (retired) NASCAR driver. Mark is a very small man. If you consider “Big Nut” (Jon Peters) famous, I have met him. Big Nut’s mother and mine have been good friends since their school days.
- If you could magically become famous, would you want to?
No. Too many people invading my private life.
- What would you do for a career if you weren’t doing this?
I think I’d work for a residential house painting company doing indoor painting.
- How old were you when you first started working?
When I was working on the family farm, I was probably 8 or 9. I picked strawberries and watched the food market stand on the roadside. Selling sweet corn at the market taught me what a baker’s dozen meant.
- What makes you feel most accomplished?
When I complete a project and receive positive feedback from the users.
- What got you interested in your current career?
Originally, I was angling towards accounting. While I was in high school, they started a computer class. When I took that, I was immediately hooked.
- If you could own a mythical creature (unicorn, phoenix, etc.), which would you pick?
One of the dragons from Harry Potter like Hagrid’s pet Norwegian Ridgeback dragon, Norbert.
- What three traits define you?
Dedicated. Hard working. Perseverance.
- What is your personal philosophy?
I don’t have one of those. That’s way too deep for me.
- Describe a win from the work you’ve done.
I implemented the ability to do direct deposit into the USPS payroll system many years ago. It was when they were just coming out with the ACH rules so that banks could electronically transfer funds.
- How do you define success?
When it pleases your clientele.
- What is your favorite thing about working at the Management Council?
Working from home! As I’m sitting here with my slippers on.